Shine event rules
If you have any questions, please contact the Shine hotline on 0871 641 1430 and a member of our team will be happy to assist you. Our lines are open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Calls cost 8p per minute plus network extras.
- Any participant unsure of their physical ability to take part in Shine must seek medical advice from their General Practitioner prior to the event.
- Wheelchair users are encouraged to enter Shine, providing they have assistance at the event. All participants wishing to take part in Shine using a wheelchair should call the Shine hotline on 0871 641 1430 to make the appropriate arrangements.
- Shine is a non-competitive walk, and participants are reminded that running is not allowed. For health and safety reasons, all personnel have been instructed not to permit any runners to take part in the event. If you do run on the night then you will not be considered an official participant of the event, and as such you will not be eligible to use any event resources (including but not limited to pit stops, suppliers, access to the finish venue, refreshments, course direction/support, personnel etc.). You understand that you absolve Cancer Research UK of any/all responsibility, and that you progress entirely at your own risk.
- All participants must write their name and details of any health problems or current medication on the reverse of their official Shine number, which must be worn during the event. To help Cancer Research UK save money, please also remember to bring your safety pins!
- All participants must abide by any rules, instructions and regulations displayed or given on the day of the event by police and officials.
- All participants arriving late must abide by the instructions and decisions of the Event Director; for health and safety reasons it is possible that latecomers will not be permitted to take part.
- Unfortunately, no pets, baby strollers/prams or roller skates/blades, skateboards and/or scooters are allowed on the Shine course.
- Unfortunately, mobility scooters are not allowed take part in Shine. The health and safety of our participants is very important to us and we cannot guarantee that each type of mobility scooter will be able to manoeuvre the Shine route.
- At the beginning of the event certain areas will be restricted to participants only. Spectators will be able to view from key designated areas.
- Cancer Research UK reserves the right to introduce another start time(s) should demand exceed the event target. This will be done manually, the start times displayed on the website will not change, however those participants who enter the event after the target has been exceeded will be contacted by Cancer Research UK to inform them of their new alternative start time. There will be no change to the start date.
- Once you have registered you are unable to switch to an alternative distance without first notifying us. This is because we have strict capacity limits for both the half and full marathon distances and for health and safety reasons we need to make sure that each event does not exceed its individual capacity. Please contact us on 0871 641 1430* where we will endeavour to support your request, however you will incur a £5 administrative charge where a change of distance is possible.
- Cancer Research UK reserves the right to refuse entry to participants who try to take part in the wrong event distance (13.1 miles and 26.2 miles) without prior approval (see rule 11).
- Cancer Research UK reserves the right to refuse entry into the event if for whatever reason a person is deemed unfit to take part.
- Cancer Research UK respectfully asks all participants along with their supporters not to use aggressive or abusive language towards our organisers and volunteers.
- Cancer Research UK respectfully asks all participants along with their supporters to be respectful of local residents whilst out on the route and not to make any excessive noise.
- Cancer Research UK respectfully asks all participants and their supporters to use the litter and recycling facilities available within the venue and around the course. Please respect the communities you are walking through and do not drop litter but carry it with you until you can dispose of it responsibly.
- Cancer Research UK reserves the right to ask participators to leave the event if they do not adhere to the rules.
- Cancer Research UK reserves the right to ask participants to leave the event if they do not adhere to these rules.
- Cancer Research UK reserves the right to shut down the Shine course and close entry to the finish venue of the event at 12pm the day after the start day of the event (i.e. 12pm Sunday for an event that started Saturday evening). Any participant that has not finished the event by this time that chooses to continue does so at their own risk with the understanding that they are no longer considered a participant of the event, and as such are not eligible to any event resources (including but not limited to pit stops, suppliers, venues, refreshments, course direction/support, personnel etc), and that they absolve Cancer Research UK of any/all responsibility.
- By participating in Shine you are agreeing to the Shine terms and conditions.
*Our lines are open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Calls cost 8p per minute plus network extras.