Shine Night Walk event rules
By participating in Shine Night Walk, you are agreeing to these rules and any instructions and regulations displayed or given on the night of the event by police and officials.
If you have any questions, please contact the Shine hotline on 0871 641 1430* and a member of our team will be happy to assist you.
1. The £35 entry fee is non-transferable and non-refundable. If your Shine welcome pack does not arrive at least two weeks before the event, please call the Shine hotline on 0871 641 1430* and we will advise you of the appropriate arrangements.
2. Shine Night Walk is unable to accept any entries on the event night.
3. Shine Night Walk is open to both men and women aged 13 or over. Only registered participants aged 13 or over on event night are eligible to take part in Shine.
4. Participants aged 13 to 17 (inclusive) on the night of Shine must be registered in addition to, and accompanied by, another participant aged 18 or over. Participants aged 18 or over will be able to register an extra participant aged 13 to 17 in the entry form on our website. However, if you have difficulties registering, please call the Shine hotline on 0871 641 1430*. We cannot take responsibility for under 18s on the night.
5. Event entry will close when maximum participant capacity is reached, but no later than 2 weeks before the event.
1. Shine Night Walk is open to volunteers aged 13 or over on event night.
2. If you are aged between 13 and 15 (inclusive) on the night of Shine, you will need to be accompanied on the night by a parent or guardian who has also registered as a volunteer in advance. You will not be able to volunteer if your parent/guardian is not with you on the night.
3. If you will be 16 or 17 on the night of Shine, you will not need to be accompanied on the night but will need to hand in a written parental/guardian consent form on arrival to the volunteer manager/area manager. Without this, you will not be able to volunteer.
4. You can request parental/guardian consent forms by emailing us.
1. Wheelchair users are encouraged to enter Shine Night Walk, providing they have assistance at the event. All participants wishing to take part in Shine using a wheelchair must call the Shine hotline on 0871 641 1430* to make the appropriate arrangements.
2. Unfortunately, no pets (except service dogs), baby strollers/prams or roller skates/blades, skateboards and/or scooters are allowed on the Shine course.
3. Unfortunately, mobility scooter users are not allowed take part in Shine Night Walk. The health and safety of our participants is very important to us and we cannot guarantee that each type of mobility scooter will be able to manoeuvre the Shine route.
4. At the beginning of the event, certain areas will be restricted to participants only. Spectators will be able to view from key designated areas.
5. All participants arriving late must abide by the instructions and decisions of the Event Director and other officials; for health and safety reasons it is possible that latecomers will not be permitted to take part.
6. Shine is a non-competitive walk, and participants are reminded that running is not allowed. For health and safety reasons, all personnel have been instructed not to permit any runners to take part in the event. If you do run on the night then you will not be considered an official participant of the event, and as such you will not be eligible to use any event resources (including but not limited to pit stops, suppliers, access to the finish venue, refreshments, course direction/support, personnel etc.). You understand that you absolve Cancer Research UK of any/all responsibility, and that you progress entirely at your own risk.
Changes and Last Minute Arrangements
1. Once you have registered you are unable to switch to an alternative distance or start time without first notifying us. This is because we have strict capacity limits for each start time, and for health and safety reasons we need to make sure that neither event distance nor start time exceeds its individual capacity. If you do wish to switch to an alternative distance or start time please contact the Shine hotline on 0871 641 1430* and we will endeavour to support your request. In the event that we can accommodate a change of distance you will incur a £5 administration charge.
2. Cancer Research UK reserves the right to refuse entry to participants who try to take part in the wrong event distance (13.1 miles and 26.2 miles) or start time without prior approval (see rule 1, above).
3. Cancer Research UK reserves the right to alter or reduce either the Shine 13.1 mile course and/or the 26.2 mile course.
1. Cancer Research UK respectfully asks all participants along with their supporters not to use aggressive or abusive language towards our organisers, marshals, officials and volunteers.
2. Cancer Research UK respectfully asks all participants along with their supporters to be respectful of local residents whilst out on the route and not to make any excessive noise.
3. Cancer Research UK respectfully asks all participants and their supporters to use the litter and recycling facilities available within the venues and around the course. Please respect the communities you are walking through and do not drop litter but carry it with you until you can dispose of it responsibly.
4. Cancer Research UK asks that all participants and supporters refrain from smoking at Shine Night Walk.
5. Cancer Research UK reserves the right to ask participants to leave the event if they do not adhere to these rules.
Closure of Course and Finish Venue
1. Cancer Research UK reserves the right to shut down the Shine course and close access to the finish venue of the event at 12pm the day after the start day of the event (i.e. 12pm Sunday for an event that started on Saturday evening). Any participant who has not finished the event by this time but chooses to continue does so at their own risk with the understanding that they are no longer considered a participant of the event, and as such are not eligible to any event resources (including but not limited to pit stops, suppliers, venues, refreshments, course direction/support, personnel etc), and that they absolve Cancer Research UK of all and any responsibility.
Health and Safety and Medical
1. Any participant unsure of their physical ability to take part in Shine Night Walk must seek medical advice from their General Practitioner prior to the event.
2. All participants must write their name and details of any health problems or current medication on the reverse of their walking number, which must be worn during the event. To help Cancer Research UK save money, please also remember to bring your safety pins!
4. In the case of an emergency, participants agree that Cancer Research UK may pass the personal details provided by a participant to the emergency services, health care professionals and use them for the purposes of contacting a participant’s emergency contact.
5. Cancer Research UK takes all reasonable steps to minimise the risk of injury to participants during fundraising events. There is a stringent risk assessment process in place for the event, which aims to minimise or eliminate the risk to everyone taking part. By taking part in this event, all participants acknowledge that there may be conditions or circumstances beyond our control that can lead to unforeseen risks. If you have any concerns or queries please contact us on 0871 641 1430* before agreeing to take part in this event.
6. Cancer Research UK reserves the right to refuse entry into the event if for whatever reason a person is deemed unfit to take part.
Sponsorship Monies and Donations
1. All participants have a legal responsibility to ensure that all sponsorship monies/donations received for Shine Night Walk are paid to Cancer Research UK.
2. Where funds are raised for a specific area of research the funds are treated as ‘restricted income’ and are reported as such in Cancer Research UK’s annual report and accounts.
3. In the unlikely event that surplus funds are raised for a specific cancer type any excess will be applied for Cancer Research UK’s general purposes.
Filming and Photography at Shine Night Walk
1. By taking part, all participants, volunteers and spectators confirm that they are happy for their names and any video footage, stills or photographs taken during their participation in Shine to be used to publicise the event and by Cancer Research UK for third party partners, commercial and fundraising purposes. This may include, but is not limited to, television broadcasts, publications, marketing material and other documents that may be made available to the public.
Photographs of children will not be used in this manner without a parent’s or legal guardian’s written consent. However, we may use images where children are incidentally included for example, of mass participation in the warm-up exercises or on the starting line. No personal details (including names) of an under 16-year-old participant will be used in any publicity materials without the written consent of their parent or legal guardian. Cancer Research UK will not provide participants’ personal details to third parties.
2. By registering a participant under the age of 16 (or allowing an under 16-year-old to take part in an event), you confirm that their parent/legal guardian is happy for their images to be used in the manner described in these rules.
2. If you do not wish your photograph taken, please tell the photographer on the night.
3. All SportCam and third party photographers at Shine Night Walk have been instructed to ask for parental/guardian permission before taking any individual photographs of children at the event. Whilst photographers/videographers will try to obtain parental/legal guardian’s consent before taking images where children are more than just incidentally included, this cannot be guaranteed. This does not include photography of crowd shots, when permission will not be sought.
1. Use of Cancer Research UK’s website is subject to our website terms and conditions.
2. All participants and volunteers enter this event entirely at their own risk and Cancer Research UK and associated companies shall not be liable for any injury or loss to participants or their property that might occur as a result of their participation in Shine Night Walk other than in respect of death or personal injury as a result of Cancer Research UK’s negligence.
3. All spectators at this event do so entirely at their own risk and Cancer Research UK shall not be liable for any injury or loss that might occur as a result of their attendance other than where such injury or loss is as a result of Cancer Research UK’s negligence.
1. Stocks of our T-shirts are limited. In the event that the size requested is not available we will send an alternative size based on availability.
2. All participants understand that any products distributed at the events are subject to availability and may be withdrawn or substituted if necessary.
*Our lines are open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Calls cost 8p per minute plus network extras. Calls to the Shine hotline may be monitored or recorded to allow us to maintain our standards of customer service.