Training plans and tips
Training for Shine
Shine is a non-competitive event. It’s about people of all ages coming together to raise money to help beat cancer.
You may have taken part in Shine before, be a keen sportsperson, or you may be taking your first steps to a healthier you.Whatever your size, shape or experience, it’s important to train for your Shine walk.
As very few of us are used to walking full or half marathons, it’s important to get your body (and feet!) prepared for Shine, to ensure you have the best possible event night.
Find the right training plan for you
We have put together some great training plans to get you started, whether you're training for the full or half marathon walk.
Start training now with our 12 week training plans to ensure you're ready for your Shine event.
Keep checking back as we will add eight week training plans for you to download nearer the event night!
Daunted by the training that’s involved? Don’t be! Walking can be an easy part of a daily routine.
Walk to the shops instead of taking the car, hop off the bus one stop early, make the school run a school walk, or take a stroll with your sandwich at lunchtime.
Walking is a great way to boost your cardiovascular fitness. It can improve bone density, boost your metabolism, ease stress and help you lose weight.
Just grab a decent pair of trainers and get started!
Top training tips
Follow these few simple tips to ensure you're safe and comfortable while you train for your Shine event:
- Wear supportive trainers (don't buy brand new ones just before the event night!)
- If you're a beginner, concentrate on increasing the time you walk and build this up gradually
- Get together with a group to train. It's a great excuse to have a natter while motivating one another to go that little bit further
- Walk at a pace that feels comfortable and vary your training routes
- Remember to warm up and cool down before and after any exercise. Taking time to stretch properly will help reduce the chance of injury
- It's important to drink before, during and after exercise – don't wait until you are thirsty
- Take a look at our healthy living tips on other lifestyle changes that will help you while you train for Shine
Not sure which distance is right for you?
One day we will beat cancer. Help us make it sooner.
Join together and help fight cancer - enter Shine today!