Training plans and tips
Training for Shine Night Walk
Shine isn’t competitive. It’s not about being first across the finish line; it’s about people coming together and raising money for one reason – to beat cancer sooner.
But to make sure you have the best time at Shine Night Walk, it’s important to put in some training time.
Our training partner, TrainSmart, has put together some training plans for you to use:
These are our top tips to make sure you're safe and comfortable whilst you train:
- Buy and wear-in a supportive pair of walking shoes or trainers – don’t wear new ones on event night
- If you need advice on finding the right pair of trainers, head to a specialist training shop
- Train with friends so you can chat and make the time go quicker
- Walk at a pace that feels comfortable and vary your routes, gradually increasing the length of time you walk
- Warm up and cool down before and after any exercise to reduce your risk of injury
- Wear layers of comfortable clothes for long distance walking. Don't forget, you can buy official clothing from our Shine shop
- It's important to drink water before, during and after exercise – don't wait until you’re thirsty
- Take other steps to improve your lifestyle. Have a look at our healthy living tips on lifestyle changes that will help you as well as training
On the night of Shine
On the night we’ll stagger the start so that we can make sure everyone sets off safely, without overcrowding. Our commentator will let you know when “power walkers”, “striders” and “strollers” need to make their way to the start area. It’s good to have an idea of what category you/your group fall into in advance of the big night, so keep this in mind when you're training.
You’re a power walker if...
You think it’ll take you less than 6 hours to walk the full marathon / 3 hours to walk the half marathon
You’re a strider if...
You think it’ll take you less than 9 hours to walk the full marathon / 4.5 hours to walk the half marathon
You’re a stroller if...
You think it’ll take you less than 12 hours to walk the full marathon 6 hours to walk the half marathon